Hapara Privacy Toolkit
Privacy of learner data is an important issue for teachers, parents, administrators, and learners. It is for Hapara as well.
Privacy of learner data is an important issue for teachers, parents, administrators, and learners.
We know that that the privacy of learner data is an important issue for teachers, parents, administrators, and learners. It is for Hapara as well. This Privacy Toolkit outlines the ways that we protect the privacy of your learners, and answers a few of the questions that you may have as a Hapara user.
Hapara was founded to help educators make the best use of cloud tools in a safe, secure, and trusted online environment. In the following pages you’ll learn about our principles, practices, and commitment to protecting learner privacy.
We know this is a big issue, and we’re here to help if you have other questions.
Feel free to reach out to email@example.com if you need more information or have a question that we haven’t covered here.
Hapara Trust & Safety Team
Hapara’s Commitment to Protecting Student Privacy
Hapara proudly serves over 1.5M learners in more than 40 countries. The educators who use Hapara products inform the growth and direction of those products, and trust is essential to them. This trust comes from knowing that privacy is built into Hapara’s products. Trust is the basis of our strong relationship with our schools, and has been since we started at Point England School in 2010.
What we DO:
- Collect limited personal information from users (for learners, this is first name, last name, and school- provided G Suite email address).
- Require learners and teachers to have G Suite accounts set up by the school.
- Help some schools create those Google accounts.
- Use HTTPS (SSL) to protect our entire site.
- Maintain a comprehensive security program – made up of administrative, technical, and physical safeguards – that is designed to protect learner information.
- Gather information about which parts of our software are used and by whom, to improve that software for users.
- Appoint our COO as our Chief Privacy Officer, to ensure all departments are accountable to the Chief Privacy Officer.
- Regularly hire security professionals to test our systems as hackers would
What we DON’T do:
- Collect, use, or disclose sensitive learner information, such as social security numbers or home addresses; all that’s asked for from learners is a first and last name.
- Sell or rent user information to third parties.
- Interact with GPS or camera functions on learner devices.
- Collect, use, or share learner information for non-educational purposes.
- Retain and utilize user information after a school cancels their subscription. Users own their own data, not Hapara.
- Permit individuals not aliated with a school or Hapara Technical Support to access or view information about a learner.
- Permit individuals not aliated with a school to communicate with learners.
- Provide a new way for learners to send private communications to other learners.
Commonly Asked Questions
What is Hapara?
Hapara’s web-based tools facilitate cloud-based learning.
- Hapara Workspace structures learning projects, and helps teachers and students to organize groups, resources, goals, and evidence.
- Hapara Dashboard helps students to organize their work done in Google Drive, and helps teachers to find that work.
- Hapara Highlights helps teachers supervise and understand the work being done on Chromebooks. Teachers can open and close tabs, message students, and see open tabs and screenshots.
- Hapara Analytics gives schools and districts insight into their digital adoption, providing actionable data about learner engagement, collaboration and device usage, starting with the first day they implemented G Suite.
Are my students’ information safe on Hapara?
Protecting student privacy and safety are paramount to Hapara. Students’ work is kept in Google Drive, not in Hapara’s systems, and so are protected by Google’s comprehensive security and privacy plans. Workspaces are kept on Hapara’s servers, protected by our security and privacy plan. We don’t collect information we don’t need, and we only use it for the purpose for which it was gathered (such as customer support, or provisioning student accounts).
Who can see a student’s information?
Hapara takes great care to ensure that only the school and students themselves can grant access to the online work of students. Only teachers of a class, the IT administrator of the school, or Hapara’s Support staff acting under instruction from the IT administrator of the school, can use Hapara products and grant access to others.
What safeguards does my school have?
Hapara schools and districts have access to extensive controls across Hapara Teacher Dashboard, Highlights, and Workspace. The school or district can enable or disable entire features, manage the hours and networks on which they can be used, and which teachers have access to the work done by students. Google Apps For Education itself comes with extensive controls that let school and district administrators grant and limit access to student work.
Can users request deletion of user data?
Schools can request the deletion of Hapara-kept user data at any time. Hapara honours all such requests, and does not retain student or school data. Hapara always acts for the school: you own your data, not Hapara.
What happens when children are no longer users of Hapara?
Hapara does not collect, use, keep, or share data for non-educational purposes. When a student is removed from their Hapara-managed classes, their work will no longer be accessible by their teachers, administrators, or parents. Student work will remain in their school-provided Google Drive, owned by them.